Friday, September 06, 2002

MOYER RESPONDS TO BENNISON'S DEPOSITION

Traditionalist Priest Joyfully Received into Diocese of Pittsburgh

"I have been improperly and illegally removed from the Diocese of
Pennsylvania, and I do not recognize the validity of this action."
Fr. Moyer

Special Report

By David W. Virtue

ROSEMONT, PA- (Sept. 5) The Evangelical Catholic priest at the Church of the Good Shepherd today applauded the action of Pittsburgh Bishop Robert Duncan in receiving him into his diocese.

Tomorrow, Friday, the Rev. Dr. David L. Moyer will celebrate mass at Trinity Cathedral in Pittsburgh where he will be received as a priest in good standing in that diocese by Bishop Duncan.

"I cannot adequately express my thanks to Almighty God for raising up Bishop Robert Duncan as a true Christian leader, a true successor of the Apostles, and a godly man of deep prayer and joy in the Lord. I thank God that I have been deemed worthy to receive a call from the Lord to defend the doctrine, discipline and worship of Christ as the Church has received them, and to be identified in so doing with the Passion of Jesus."

"The persecution of bishops, and priests by those within the Episcopal Church, especially from those in episcopal office is tragic and an offense to God. In my situation, Charles Bennison has refused to publicly affirm basic Christian teachings, and has removed himself from the Church through public pronouncements and teaching that are apostate and heretical. I have always (as a lifelong member of the Episcopal Church and a priest for 25 years) held bishops in high regard, but I cannot do this with a man who has failed his calling as a shepherd and bishop of the Shepherd and Bishop of our souls, Jesus Christ. It is not too much to ask that a bishop be a Christian."

"Secondarily, the Deposition is invalid, unjust, illegal, uncanonical, and unchristian. Never before in the history of the Episcopal Church has this particular canon been used to inhibit and depose a priest who seeks to remain in the Episcopal Church as one who has not committed a moral offense. This canon used against me has historically been reserved for a priest who has left the Episcopal Church for the Roman Catholic Church or one of the Protestant denominations. I had no appeal or trial."

"I have been improperly and illegally removed from the Diocese of Pennsylvania, and I do not recognize the validity of this action."

"A lawsuit has been filed on my behalf requesting an order setting aside the Deposition, or in the alternative for damages. I am blessed with the legal representation and expertise of Mr. John H. Lewis, Jr. of Montgomery, McCracken, Walker and Rhoads, along with the assistance of Mr. Robert Fitzgerald and Mr. Christopher Pushaw, attorneys."

"I remain a priest called by God, and I welcome the provision to be a priest in good standing in the Diocese of Pittsburgh and to be placed on the rolls for the clergy. I welcome the pastoral oversight of Bishop Duncan. I have a hunger and thirst for a strong and caring Father in God."

"I am also so grateful for the recent action by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the spiritual head of the Anglican Communion. The Most Rev. and Right Honorable Dr. George Carey has communicated to me in order to give me the right to say with confidence that, 'the Archbishop of Canterbury believes me to be in good standing with him and is prepared to offer me Permission to Officiate in the Diocese of Canterbury and a license in the Province of Canterbury'."

"I also have been receiving licenses for priestly ministries and authority conferred by ordination from an increasing number of bishops from throughout the Episcopal Church."

"In addition, I am grateful for the prayers and support of local clergy from other denominations, many of whom came to Good Shepherd on Sept. 4th for a wonderful and rousing ecumenical praise and prayer service. Finally, the prayers and encouragement from people all over the world have been wonderful and a great blessing."

"How special it is at this time for my wife and me to have our lives graced with the presence of The Most Rev. Dr. Bernard Malango, Archbishop of Central Africa, in our home. His Grace came specially to be with us as a source of pastoral support and spiritual guidance."

"My concern has been and now is entirely focused on the spiritual welfare of the good people under my charge as their rector at the Church of the Good Shepherd, Rosemont, who have been served so well during this time by the faithful and godly priests on my staff. You may remember that adding to his unjust actions and showing no concern for souls of the people committed to my charge, Charles Bennison inhibited me during Lent prior to Holy Week."

"My parishioners have been so steadfast, caring, and supportive of my wife, my family and me, throughout this difficult emotional ordeal. With joy, I have witnessed a deepening in their spiritual lives, and a renewed commitment to Christ Jesus and His Church Catholic and Apostolic. They are poised to move forward with our many ministries to God's glory and the benefit of others."

"Let me conclude with a prayer I have prayed daily for the past six months, written by St. Ignatius of Loyola.

""Teach us, good Lord, to serve Thee as Thou deservest to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest; to labor and not to ask for any reward-Save that of knowing what we do Thy Will."

END

No comments: