Tuesday, August 06, 2002

WILLIAMS AFFIRMS LAMBETH RESOLUTION ON SEXUALITY

WILLIAMS AFFIRMS LAMBETH RESOLUTION ON SEXUALITY.
LET US IN THE NORTH & SOUTH, EAST AND WEST PRAY FOR HIM , ALONG WITH HIS FELLOW PRIMATES --P.T.


From the Most Revd Dr Rowan Williams
Archbishop of Wales and Bishop of Monmouth


Tuesday, 23rd July


My dear friends,

You will be hearing today the news that I have accepted appointment as
Archbishop of Canterbury. My first reason for writing is to ask for your
prayers; I am deeply thankful that we are not strangers to each other, and I
hope that the friendships formed in the Primates' Meetings will continue and
flourish as we work together under God. At the moment, I am chiefly
conscious of bringing to the task only the fear, the confusion and the sense
of inadequacy that come from my personal resources. I have to trust that God
will give (not least through your fellowship and intercession) what is needed
-and that I shall have the grace to receive and respond to what he gives.

I also write because I know that some disquiet has been expressed over the
possibility of my appointment because of what are believed to be my views on
certain questions, in particular on human sexuality. On this matter, I wish
to say two things. First, an archbishop is not someone elected to fulfil a
programme or manifesto of his own devising, but to serve the whole Communion.
He does not have the freedom to prescribe belief for the Church at large. I
have indeed in the past written briefly on the subject of theology and
sexuality, and hope that what I have written has contributed to the
continuing discussion; but my ideas have no authority beyond that of an
individual theologian. Second, the Lambeth resolution of 1998 declares
clearly what is the mind of the overwhelming majority in the Communion, and
what the Communion will and will not approve or authorise. I accept that any
individual diocese or even province that officially overturns or repudiates
this resolution poses a substantial problem for the sacramental unity of the
Communion.

In both respects, I have to distinguish plainly between personal theories
and interpretations and the majority conviction of my Church, and have always
tried to make such a distinction when I have been questioned on this subject.
Since the Lambeth resolution also commends continuing reflection on these
matters, my main hope will be to try and maintain a mutually respectful
climate for such reflection, in the sort of shared prayerful listening to
Scripture envisaged by Lambeth. I hope too, very earnestly, that we can hold
to the urgent common priority of mission and evangelism, and avoid the
temptation of becoming trapped in questions where the politics of our culture
sets the agenda. I believe with all my heart that through Christ we are
given a unique and immeasurable gift, and that all our work as apostles and
pastors and teachers must grow from our thankfulness to God.

Once again, I ask your continuing prayers, and hope that we shall be able to
work together in love and trust. I rely on all of you to 'speak the truth in
love' to me and to preach the Good News of Jesus Christ to me so that I may
be strengthened to speak for Christ to others. This comes with warm
affection and gratitude.

In Christ,
Rowan....

No comments: