Monday, June 03, 2002

PRAYER IN TIME OF LITIGATION

The trial date for the lawsuit against the Church of St. James the Less by the Episcopal Diocese of Philadelphia and Bp. Charles Bennison is tentatively set to begin the day after Labor Day, September 3, 2002. Fr. David Ousley, the rector, has composed the following set of intercessory prayers (from the Book of Common Prayer and the Missal) to be used on behalf of the parish in private devotions. The versicle and response (V. and R.) symbols are who those who are able to use these intercessions in groups (church services, Bible studies, etc.) as well as privately as individuals. The asterisk * in the middle of a line indicates a very brief pause in the recitation, for purposes of phrasing.



Prayer In Time Of Litigation

V. O God, make speed to save us.
R. O Lord, make haste to help us.

V. GLORY be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost;
R. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.

V. O SAVIOUR of the world, who by thy Cross and precious Blood hast redeemed us;
R. Save us and help us, we humbly beseech thee, O Lord.

[Psalm 43. Judica me, Deus]

V. GIVE sentence with me, O God, and defend my cause against the ungodly people; *
O deliver me from the deceitful and wicked man.
R. For thou art the God of my strength; why hast thou put me from thee? *
And why go I so heavily, while the enemy oppresseth me?
V. O send out thy light and thy truth, that they may lead me, *
and bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling.
R. And that I may go unto the altar of God, even unto the God of my joy and gladness; *
and upon the harp will I give thanks unto thee, O God, my God.
V. Why art thou so heavy, O my soul? *
and why art thou so disquieted within me?
R. O put thy trust in God; *
for I will yet give him thanks, which is the help of my countenance, and my God.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost;
R. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.

V. O SAVIOUR of the world, who by thy Cross and precious Blood hast redeemed us;
R. Save us and help us, we humbly beseech thee, O Lord.

V. From our enemies defend us, O Christ.
R. Graciously look upon our afflictions.

V. Let us pray.

O GOD, merciful Father, who despisest not the sighing of a contrite heart, nor the desire of such as are sorrowful; Mercifully assist our prayers which we make before thee in all our troubles and adversities, whensoever they oppress us; and graciously hear us, that those evils which the craft and subtilty of the devil or man worketh against us, may, by thy good providence, be brought to nought; that we thy servants, being hurt by no persecutions, may evermore give thanks unto thee in thy holy Church; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

V. THE grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Ghost, be with us all evermore.
R. Amen.


The Rev'd Dr. Peter Toon
Minister of Christ Church, Biddulph Moor,
England & Vice-President and Emissary-at-Large
of The Prayer Book Society of America

No comments: