Saturday, December 20, 2003

May I try once more to provide clarity...

(Earlier posts in this thread are found below)
My dear Father Kim,

Before Christmas demands all out time and attention, may I try once more to explain to your patient List that:

(a) I do not want to ban the 1979 Prayer Book of the ECUSA. I simply want folks to recognize that it is not what it calls itself, "The BCP". I want people to see that It is in structure and content a Book of Varied Services and is thus part of a common genre that is found in Anglicanism from the 1970s onwards; its creators are fully aware that it is a new genre.

(b) I want to claim that the true BCP of the PECUSA (later ECUSA) is the classic edition of the BCP, that which began its American life as the 1789 edition (edition of 1662 adapted to USA) and was last edited and published in 1928. I suggest that this latter ought to be the Formulary of the ECUSA & Network, with the 1979 book as a Book of Varied Services alongside it and under its doctrinal authority.

(c) I recognise that the Network of Bob Duncan et al is in the making and its foundations are not yet set in concrete. This is why I strongly suggest that it gets its thinking and statements clear not only on Scripture and sexual ethics but also on Worship & doctrine, by signing on to the Formularies of the PECUSA/ECUSA as they were until the 1970s, when the innovations came in thick and fast and undermined the reformed catholic Faith of the PECUSA/ECUSA and cast out these Formularies (classic BCP, classic Ordinal, classic Articles)

Unless the Network recovers the traditional PECUSA Formularies I cannot see how it can ever claim to be the genuine continuing PECUSA/ECUSA. Rather it will be the present ECUSA modified, not given real and new (yet old) foundations.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Thanks for your patience.

The Rev'd Dr. Peter Toon M.A., D.Phil. (Oxon.)

No comments: